Updated on 2019-07-15
When you use SayWot, you trust us with your information. We are committed to keeping that trust. That starts with helping you understand our privacy practices.
Data Collections And Uses
This policy applies to users of Say Wot?'s services anywhere in the world, including users of Say Wot?’s apps, websites, features or other services.
- Clients: users who request or receive translation services
- Contractors: users who provide translation individually or through partner translation companies
This policy also applies to those who provide information to Say Wot? in connection with an application to use our services, or whose information Say Wot? otherwise receives in connection with its services (such as contact information of individuals associated with Say Wot? restaurant partners). All those subject to this policy are referred to as “users” for purposes of this policy.
The practices described in this policy are subject to applicable laws in the places in which we operate. This means that we only engage in the practices described in this policy in a particular country or region if permitted under the laws of those places. Please contact us if you have questions on our practices in your country or region.
Say Wot? provides services to users throughout the world. If you use our services in the United States, Say Wot?, LLC is the data controller for your information. If you use our services in the European Union or elsewhere, Say Wot?, LLC is the data controller.
We process personal information inside and outside of the United States.
The data controller for the information you provide or that is collected by Say Wot? or its affiliates is:
Say Wot?, LLC.
3281 McRoberts Road
Pittsburgh, PA 15234
Questions, comments and complaints about Say Wot?'s data practices can be submitted to Say Wot?'s data protection office by contacting us at email@example.com.
We process personal information inside and outside of the United States. Say Wot? transfers information of users' outside the United States on the basis of mechanisms approved under applicable laws.
The Information We Collect
Say Wot? collects:
- Information that you provide to Say Wot?, such as when you create your Say Wot? account.
- Information created when you use our services, such as location, usage and device information.
- Information from other sources, such as Say Wot? partners and third parties that use Say Wot? APIs.
The following information is collected by or on behalf of Say Wot?:
- Information you provide
This may include:
- User profile: We collect information when you create or update your Say Wot? account. This may include your name, email, phone number, login name and password, address, payment or banking information (including related payment verification information), government identification numbers such as Social Security number, driver’s license or passport if required by law, birth date, photo and signature. This also includes the preferences and settings that you enable for your Say Wot? account.
- Background check information: We may collect background check information if you sign up to use Say Wot?’s services as a translator or interpreter. This may include public information. This information may be collected by a vendor on Say Wot?’s behalf.
- Demographic data: We may collect demographic information about you, including through user surveys. In some countries, we may also receive demographic information about you from third parties.
- User content: We may collect information that you submit when you contact Say Wot? customer support, provide ratings or compliments for other users, or otherwise contact Say Wot?.
- Information created when you use our services
This may include:
- Location Information
Depending on the Say Wot? services that you use, and your app settings or device permissions, we may collect your precise or approximate location information as determined through data such as GPS, IP address and WiFi.
- If you are a translator, Say Wot? collects location information when the Say Wot? app is running in the foreground (app open and on-screen) or background (app open but not on screen) of your device.
- If you are a client and have provided permission for the processing of location data, Say Wot? collects location information when the Say Wot? app is running in the foreground. In certain regions, Say Wot? also collects this information when the Say Wot? app is running in the background of your device if this collection is enabled through your app settings or device permissions.
- Clients may use the Say Wot? app without enabling Say Wot? to collect their location information. However, this may affect the functionality available on your Say Wot? app. For example, if you do not enable Say Wot? to collect your location information, your job may not be pushed to relevant translators.
- Transaction Information
We collect transaction details related to your use of our services, including the type of services you requested or provided, your order details, delivery information, date and time the service was provided, amount charged, deadline for service, and payment method. Additionally, if someone uses your promotion code, we may associate your name with that person.
- Usage information
We collect information about how you interact with our services. This includes information such as access dates and times, app features or pages viewed, app crashes and other system activity, type of browser, and third-party sites or service you were using before interacting with our services. In some cases, we collect this information through cookies, pixel tags, and similar technologies that create and maintain unique identifiers. To learn more about these technologies, please see www.say-wot.com/cookies.
- Device Information
We may collect information about the devices you use to access our services, including the hardware models, device IP address, operating systems and versions, software, file names and versions, preferred languages, unique device identifiers, advertising identifiers, serial numbers, device motion information, and mobile network information.
- Communications data
We enable users to communicate with each other and Say Wot? through the Say Wot? app, website, and other services. To provide this service, Say Wot? receives some information regarding the calls or texts, including the date and time of the call/text, and the content of the communications. Say Wot? may also use this information for customer support services (including to resolve disputes between users), for safety and security purposes, to improve our products and services and for analytics.
- Information from other sources
These may include:
- User feedback, such as as ratings or compliments.
- Users providing your information in connection with referral programs.
- Users requesting services for or on your behalf.
- Users or others providing information in connection with claims or disputes.
- Say Wot? business partners through which you create or access your Say Wot? account, such as payment providers, social media services, on-demand music services, or apps or websites who use Say Wot?’s APIs or whose API Say Wot? uses.
- Colleges, Universities, and Accrediting Bodies (in the case of credential verification).
- Financial services providers.
- Partner agencies (if you are a translator who uses our services through an account associated with such a company).
- Publicly available sources.
- Marketing service providers.
Say Wot? may combine the information collected from these sources with other information in its possession.
How We Use Your Information
Say Wot? collects and uses information to enable reliable and convenient matching, bidding and other products and services. We also use the information we collect:
- To enhance the safety and security of our users and services
- For customer support
- For research and development
- To enable communications to or between users
- To provide promotions or contests
- In connection with legal proceedings
Say Wot? does not sell or share your personal information to third parties for third party direct marketing purposes.
Say Wot? uses the information it collects for purposes including:
- Providing services and features
Say Wot? uses the information we collect to provide, personalize, maintain and improve our products and services. This includes using the information to:
- Create and update your account.
- Verify your identity.
- Process or facilitate payments for those services.
- Offer, obtain, provide or facilitate financing solutions in connection with our services.
- To track the progress of your job.
- Enable features that allow you to share information with other people, such as when you submit a compliment about a translator, refer a friend to Say Wot?, or share your feedback.
- Enable features to personalize your Say Wot? account, such as creating bookmarks for your language pairs, and to enable quick access to previous translators.
- Perform internal operations necessary to provide our services, including to troubleshoot software bugs and operational problems, to conduct data analysis, testing, and research, and to monitor and analyze usage and activity trends.
- Safety and security
We use your data to help maintain the safety, security and integrity of our services and users. This includes, for example:
- Using information from translators’ devices and passports to identify and prevent fraud.
- our Real-Time ID Check feature, which prompts translators to share a selfie before going online. This helps ensure that the translator using the app matches the Say Wot? account we have on file, preventing fraud and helping to protect other users.
- Using device, location, profile, usage and other information to prevent, detect, and combat fraud or unsafe activities. This includes processing of such information, in certain countries, to identify practices or patterns that indicate fraud or risk of safety incidents. This may also include information from third parties. In certain cases such incidents may lead to deactivation by means of an automated decision making process. Users in the EU have have the right to object to this type of processing; see Section II.I.1.d for more information
- Using user ratings to encourage improvement by affected users, and as grounds for deactivating users with ratings below a certain minimum as may be required in their region. Calculation and deactivation may be done through an automated decision making process. Users in the EU have have the right to object to this type of processing; see Section II.I.1.d for more information.
- Customer support
Say Wot? uses the information we collect (including recordings of customer support calls after notice to you and with your consent) to assist you when you contact our customer support services, including to:
- Direct your questions to the appropriate customer support person
- Investigate and address your concerns
- Monitor and improve our customer support responses
- Research and development
We may use the information we collect for testing, research, analysis and product development. This allows us to improve and enhance the safety and security of our services, develop new features and products, and facilitate insurance and finance solutions in connection with our services.
- Communications among users
Say Wot? uses the information we collect to enable communications between our users. For example, a translator may text or call a client to confirm a meeting location, or in facilitating an audio/video call for live interpreting.
- Communications from Say Wot?
Say Wot? may use the information we collect to communicate with you about products, services, promotions, studies, surveys, news, updates and events.
Say Wot? may also use the information to promote and process contests and sweepstakes, fulfill any related awards, and serve you relevant ads and content about our services and those of our business partners. You may receive some of these communications based on your profile as an say Wot? user. Users in the EU have have the right to object to this type of processing; see Section II.I.1.d for more information.
Say Wot? may also use the information to inform you about elections, ballots, referenda and other political and policy processes that relate to our services.
- Legal proceedings and requirements
We may use the information we collect to investigate or address claims or disputes relating to your use of Say Wot?'s services, or as otherwise allowed by applicable law, or as requested by regulators, government entities, and official inquiries.
Cookies And Third Party Technologies
- Authenticating users
- Remembering user preferences and settings
- Determining the popularity of content
- Delivering and measuring the effectiveness of advertising campaigns
Information Sharing And Disclosure
Some of Say Wot's products, services and features require that we share information with other users or at your request. We may also share your information with our affiliates, subsidiaries and business partners, for legal reasons or in connection with claims or disputes.
Say Wot? may share the information we collect:
- With other users
- For example, if you are a client, we may share your first name, average rating given by translators, and job type and service history.
- If you are a translator or service provider, we may share information with your client(s) including name and photo; location; average rating provided by clients; total number of jobs completed; for how long you have been using the Say Wot? app; and contact information (depending upon applicable laws). If you choose to complete a translator profile, we may also share any information associated with that profile, including information that you submit and compliments that past clients have submitted about you. The client will also receive a receipt containing information such as a breakdown of amounts charged, your first name, photo, and a description of the services rendered.
- At your request
This includes sharing your information with:
- Say Wot? business partners. For example, if you requested a service through a partnership or promotional offering made by a third party, Say Wot? may share your information with those third parties. This may include, for example, other apps or websites that integrate with our APIs, agencies, or services, or those with an API or service with which we integrate, or business partners with whom Say Wot? may partner with to deliver a promotion, a contest or a specialized service.
- With the general public when you submit content to a public forum
We love hearing from our users -- including through public forums such as Say Wot? blogs, social media, and certain features on our network. When you communicate with us through those channels, your communications may be viewable by the public.
- With the owner of Say Wot? accounts that you may use
If you use a profile associated with another party we may share your job information with the owner of that profile. This occurs, for example, if you are:
- A client using your employer’s Say Wot? Business profile.
- A translator using an account owned by an agency.
- With Say Wot? subsidiaries and affiliates
We share information with our subsidiaries and affiliates to help us provide our services or conduct data processing on our behalf. For example, Say Wot? processes and stores information in the United States on behalf of its international subsidiaries and affiliates.
- With Say Wot? service providers and business partners
Say Wot? may provide information to its vendors, consultants, marketing partners, research firms, and other service providers or business partners. This may include, for example:
- Payment processors and facilitators.
- Background check providers.
- Cloud storage providers.
- Marketing partners and marketing platform providers.
- Data analytics providers.
- Research partners, including those performing surveys or research projects in partnership with Say Wot? or on Say Wot?’s behalf.
- Vendors that assist Say Wot? to enhance the safety and security of its apps.
- Consultants, lawyers, accountants and other professional service providers.
- Insurance and financing partners.
- For legal reasons or in the event of a dispute
Say Wot? may share your information if we believe it is required by applicable law, regulation, operating agreement, legal process or governmental request, or where the disclosure is otherwise appropriate due to safety or similar concerns.
This includes sharing your information with law enforcement officials, government authorities, or other third parties as necessary to enforce our Terms of Service, user agreements, or other policies, to protect Say Wot’s rights or property or the rights, safety or property of others, or in the event of a claim or dispute relating to your use of our services. If you use another person’s credit card, we may be required by law to share information with that credit card holder, including service information.
This also includes sharing your information with others in connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, sale of company assets, consolidation or restructuring, financing, or acquisition of all or a portion of our business by or into another company.
- With your consent
Say Wot? may share your information other than as described in this policy if we notify you and you consent to the sharing.
Information Retention And Deletion
Say Wot? retains user profile and other information for as long as you maintain your Say Wot? account.
Say Wot? retains transaction, location, usage and other information for 7 years in connection with regulatory, tax, insurance or other requirements in the places in which it operates. Say Wot? thereafter deletes or anonymizes such information in accordance with applicable laws.
Users may request deletion of their accounts at any time. Following such request, Say Wot? deletes the information that it is not required to retain, and restricts access to or use of any information it is required to retain.
Say Wot? requires user profile information in order to provide its services, and retains such information for as long you maintain your Say Wot? account.
Say Wot? retains certain information, including transaction, location, device and usage information, for a minimum of 7 years in connection with regulatory, tax, insurance and other requirements in the places in which it operates. Once such information is no longer necessary to provide Say Wot’s services, enable customer support, enhance the user experience or other operational purposes, Say Wot? takes steps to prevent access to or use of such information for any purpose other than compliance with these requirements or for purposes of safety, security and fraud prevention and detection.
You may request deletion of your account at any time through the Privacy Settings in the Say Wot? app, or via Say Wot's website.
Following such request, Say Wot? deletes the information that it is not required to retain. In certain circumstances, Say Wot? may be unable to delete your account, such as if there is an outstanding credit on your account or an unresolved claim or dispute. Upon resolution of the issue preventing deletion, Say Wot? will delete your account as described above.
Say Wot? may also retain certain information if necessary for its legitimate business interests, such as fraud prevention and enhancing users' safety and security. For example, if Say Wot? shuts down a user's account because of unsafe behavior or security incidents, Say Wot? may retain certain information about that account to prevent that user from opening a new Say Wot? account in the future.
Special Information For EU Users
Beginning May 25, 2018, the processing of personal data of users in the European Union is subject to the EU General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”).
This section summarizes Say Wot?’s grounds for processing personal information under the GDPR, and the rights of EU users as relates to Say Wot’s handling of personal information.
Beginning May 25, 2018, the processing of personal data of users in the European Union is subject to the EU General Data Protection Regulation ('GDPR'). This section provides information as relates to EU users' rights, and Say Wot?'s responsibilities, under this regulation.
1. EU User Rights
If you are a Say Wot? user in the EU, you have the following rights with respect to Say Wot?'s handling of your personal information. To exercise these rights, please see below or submit your request by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Users outside the EU may also request explanation, correction, deletion or copies of their personal data by emailing email@example.com.
- a. Explanation and copies of your data
- b. Correction
- c. Deletion
- d. Objections and complaints
2509 AJ DEN HAAG
(+31) - (0)70 - 888 85 00
- You may also submit questions, comments or complaints to Say Wot?'s Data Protection Officer by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Grounds for Processing
The GDPR requires that companies processing the personal data of EU users do so on the basis of specific legal grounds. As described below, Say Wot? processes the information of EU users based on one or more of the grounds specified under the GDPR:
- a. The processing is necessary to provide the services and features you request
- b. The processing is necessary to protect the vital interests of our users or of others
- c. The processing is necessary for Say Wot?'s legitimate interests
- d. The processing is necessary for the legitimate interests of other persons or parties
- e. The processing is necessary to fulfill Say Wot?'s legal obligations
- f. Consent
Choice And Transparency
Say Wot? provides means for you to see and control the information that Say Wot? collects, including through:
- in-app privacy settings
- device permissions
- in-app ratings pages
- marketing opt-outs
You may also request that Say Wot? provide you with explanation, copies or correction of your data.
A. PRIVACY SETTINGS
The Privacy Settings menu in the Say Wot? app gives users the the ability to set or update their location and contacts sharing preferences, and their preferences for receiving mobile notifications from Say Wot?. Information on these settings, how to set or change these settings, and the effect of turning off these settings are described below.
- Location Information
- Share Live Location
- Notifications: Account and Job Updates
- Notifications: Jobs
B. DEVICE PERMISSIONS
Most mobile platforms (iOS, Android, etc.) have defined certain types of device data that apps cannot access without your consent. And these platforms have different permission systems for obtaining your consent. The iOS platform will alert you the first time the Say Wot? app wants permission to access certain types of data and will let you consent (or not consent) to that request. Android devices will notify you of the permissions that the Say Wot? app seeks before you first use the app, and your use of the app constitutes your consent.
C. RATINGS LOOK-UP
After every service, translators and clients are able to rate each other, as well as give feedback on how the job went. This two-way system holds everyone accountable for their behavior. Accountability helps create a respectful, safe environment for both translators and clients.
Your rating is available in the main menu of the Say Wot? app.
D. EXPLANATIONS, COPIES AND CORRECTION
You may request that Say Wot?:
- Provide a detailed explanation regarding the information Say Wot? has collected about you and how it uses that information.
- Receive a copy of the information Say Wot? has collected about you.
- Request correction of any inaccurate information that Say Wot? has about you.
You can make these requests by contacting Say Wot? at email@example.com.
You can also edit the name, phone number and email address associated with your account through the Settings menu in Say Wot?'s apps. You can also look up your order and job history in the Say Wot? apps.
E. MARKETING OPT-OUTS
You may opt out of receiving promotional emails from Say Wot? here. You may also opt out of receiving emails and other messages from Say Wot? by following the instructions in those messages. Please note that if you opt out, we may still send you non-promotional messages, such as receipts for your rides or information about your account.
Updates To This Policy
We may occasionally update this policy.
We may occasionally update this policy. If we make significant changes, we will notify you of the changes through the Say Wot? apps or through others means, such as email. To the extent permitted under applicable law, by using our services after such notice, you consent to our updates to this policy.
We encourage you to periodically review this policy for the latest information on our privacy practices. We will also make prior versions of our privacy policies available for review.